Farm Life of the Past: Cotton Fields

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Cotton Fields






















Charles has many stories of picking cotton, chopping cotton, plowing the fields and planting the cotton ... and of playing in piles of cotton as a kid - with his brothers, sisters and cousins! All things cotton ~ in fact! ;)

~~~

This is a modern day cotton field and an OLD red barn! This is near the place where Charles grew up! This farm is near Athens, Al~ the 'town' of my husband's childhood and teen years.

I can imagine that this cotton field looks pretty much as it would have in the early days...though modern ways of growing and gathering of the crops are totally different now! ( Thank goodness for that!)

We got these pictures on a recent trip back to Alabama.


~~~

Some stories of cotton picking/chopping days are coming up soon! :)

~~~

And this~~~



Junie




Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At July 3, 2008 at 3:50 PM , Blogger Carole Burant said...

That is one of my favourite CCR songs!! I've never seen a cotton field in real life, only in pictures and on tv...I guess Canada doesn't have the right weather for it! lol I have heard from people who say it was a back breaking job picking cotton. Glad I was spared that at least! Sheesh! xoxo

 
At July 3, 2008 at 4:19 PM , Blogger JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Pea,


Yes- I thought of you when I posted that CCR song! :) I know they are among your favorites!

Yes, I'm sure Canada is too cold to grow cotton crops.

Oh- I'm sure it's easier harvesting cotton than it was in the past. They have automatic picking machines now-

I HAVE picked cotton myself= lol- well- when I was very young! I remember my daddy had little kid size cotton picking sack for my sister and me! I remember it was hard on the fingers!

LOL- Thank goodness we moved to Florida!!



Hugs)))


Junie

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home