Farm Life of the Past: Family Ties

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Family Ties

There's much to be said about the benefits derived of being born into a big family.

For one...with that larger number of people in your life you have a much better chance of , at least
some of them liking you a lot! :)

Charles was always close to all his family - Parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins...and all the little nieces and nephews that came along later.


Being one of the youngest of the 10 children he was still a kid or a teenager when the new additions started coming along! (his nieces and nephews)

He always talked a lot about his family and I know he missed everyone when he joined the Air Force , right out of high school...but he never went back to Alabama to live, instead, settled in South Florida!

He enjoys going back every year for the reunion. I do too! I love seeing the places of his growing up years...and matching them up with the stories he's told me all through the years. :)

~~~


I got this E-mail from one of Charles' (and my) nieces . This shows a bit of the love - still alive and well- with the family!

I thought this was sweet and asked Kathy's permission to put it here on the family memories blog! :) She didn't mind - so here it is!!

~~~

Hi June -

I can't seem to find your personal blog - can you send me the
link ?
I want to let Mom catch up on the family stuff -
also
I just read Mud Bottom and can't wait to share that story with Mom she
will love it ...

I look forward to Uncle Ed telling wonderful stories during the reunion
this year - and maybe this siblings might have a story or two they can
share on him ... : )

My stories would be much too new -for the blog - But here are a couple you
can share with Uncle Ed - I think you and he both will get a kick out of
them -

The one I think you might get the biggest kick out of is...

When I would look at my Uncle Ed's picture (the one when he played football
for West Limestone) and then later on his picture in uniform at Grandmother
Kellum's house...I remember thinking ...he is the most handsome man I had
ever seen - plus I knew how much fun and loveable he was - but when I was
about
6...I can remember the shear disappointed when somehow I found out - you
couldn't marry your uncle... it wasn't allowed ...even if we did come from
Mud Bottom.

and the story I think my Uncle Ed will lol about is ...

How totally impressed I was when we came to Miami for a visit and he took
us to the Drive In movies - I will never forget - I was so excited he was
taking us to the opening of "Gidget Goes Hawaiian" (1961) ... and I could
not believe it - we drove right up to the ticket booth and MY Uncle ( who I
idolized) flipped out his police badge - and they just waved us in - like
royalty - I was so impressed I could hardly believe it - I think this was
the first memory I have of being on cloud 9 and I knew right away we were
no longer in Mud Bottom !

There is no wonder to this day - I fondly call him my Uncle Ed -

See you guys at the reunion...

Kathy

~~~


This is a picture of the time she's remembering when they came down to visit us in Miami!
Charles and I had been married just a short time. I was 20 and he was 26. The picture is Charles' sister and brother-in- law and his nephew, Steve and niece, Kathy! My little boy, Chris, was less than 2 here. (Chris is from a previous marriage- but Charles has always been his DAD!)





We're looking forward to seeing everyone in about 2 weeks!





Love,
Junie

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home